EHR Incentive Program Registration
How do I register for a HITECH Act program?
Registration is required of all EHR incentive program participants. It is a simple process, and you do not need to know which program you are registering for or what certified EHR technology you will be using. All that is needed is basic identifying information in order to inform CMS that you intend to participate. It is advisable that you print the instructions on this page before you begin the registration process.
Before You Begin
To register for an EHR incentive program with CMS, you will need:
- Your National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Your National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) web login credentials (If you do not have NPPES credentials, visit https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES to apply)
- The Tax Identification Number that will be receiving payments. This must be either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). (Depending on your personal circumstances and your selected EHR incentive program, you may prefer to select yourself, your employer, your biller, or a state-approved entity.)
- Optionally, your EHR Certification Number if you have already selected the certified EHR technology you plan to use in your practice (You may request this number from your EHR vendor)
Once you have secured the identification numbers above, you may begin the registration process using the instructions below. It is usually a good idea to print these instructions so they can be easily referenced. The registration process should take less than 5 minutes. You may begin at the official CMS EHR program registration website.
- Go to https://ehrincentives.cms.gov and click the "Continue" button at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your NPPES User ID and Password at the bottom of the page and click "Log In."
- A "Welcome" page will load. Select the "Registration" tab at the top of the page.
- When the Registration page loads, click "Register" in the "Action" column at the bottom of the page.
- An overview page will load. Click "Start Registration" at the bottom of the page.
- Select either the Medicare or Medicaid EHR incentive program and select your medical specialty. If you have already selected the certified EHR technology you will be using, select "Yes" and give the EHR certification number in the empty box. If you have not yet selected an EHR system, select "No" and leave the box blank. Finally, click "Save and continue" at the bottom of the page.
- In the "Identifiers" section, select the TIN type (either SSN or EIN) and then click "Apply" to enter the number. Complete the fields that appear as appropriate, then click "Save and continue."
- In the "Business Address & Phone" section, simply verify the accuracy of the information, and complete any blank fields that are marked with a red asterisk. When you are finished, click "Save and continue."
- You will be returned to the overview page. Click "Begin submission" at the bottom of the page.
- Again verify the information, then click the "Submit" button.
- Read the terms and click the "Agree" button, and you will be provided with a page that says "Successful submission." Don’t forget to print this page for your records.
- Finally, record your login information and store it in a safe place. You will need this information to apply for incentive funds at the end of each year's reporting period.
- The official CMS registration and attestation information webpage is located at
- The HITECH Act Made Easy is the authoritative guide to the HITECH Act EHR incentive programs. It includes registration information, meaningful use requirements, attestation and reporting instructions, EHR selection advice and much more:
(Now available at Amazon.com!)